Managing the Directory
The Directory, which is fully integrated into the Community Content Engine (CCE), represents one of the 3 core types of content (local businesses) needed to build a a community-focused website. A directory is not only an opportunity to share local businesses but it's also so much more; it anchors critical community engagement and monetization features throughout your website (Community Sponsors, Contest Sponsors, Guides, etc.).
While a listing on your site will not / should not be a replacement for local businesses being on Yelp or Google My Business, it is designed to allow you, as a local publisher, to provide value to both your readers and advertisers by incorporating features like Directory Guides and Related Articles that allow you to leverage your expertise as a local curator and publisher to provide greater value.
- How to add a new business and invite the business to claim their listing
- How to add or remove an existing business from the directory?
- How to upgrade a business in the Directory
- What's included in each Listing Plan?
- How to control which businesses show in the directory (Approval Settings)
- How to add search filters to your directory
- How to setup Meta Data Fields for your Directory
There are several options to choose from:
- Hide All Unclaimed Listings - Not Recommend
- Hide All Free (Express) Listings - Not Recommended
- Hide All Permanently Closed Listings (We recommend keeping Permanently Closed businesses as a reference)
- Hide Search Bar - Removes the Search Option from the directory
- Only Show Guides - Hides the standard search results feed leaving just a grid of Guides on the main directory page
- Randomize Display of Upgraded Listings in Featured Listings Section of Directory
To enable or disable any of these settings, go to Settings > General and click on the Layouts Tab and then scroll down to the Directory Section.
Can't edit a listing in the administrative interface?
We've limited editing to upgraded listings to reduce the potential of accidentally changing a listing by mistake. Publishers can edit a listing if:
- There is missing info
- They are the site where the business was initially created
- They are an authorized publisher
- Any publisher/site specific field including the Hero, Publisher Welcome Message, Video, Owners Welcome Message, Additional Info/Meta Data, PDF Downloads, and Related Links
If you don't have access to edit a particle field, you can request a change by clicking the button in the upper right hand corner of the edit listing screen or by emailing [email protected]
Need to merge a duplicate listing?
Sometimes people create duplicates when they forget they already had a listing or perhaps a business has two owners and both create a listing by mistake. In any case, if you need a listing merged request it by emailing [email protected] and include the URLs of the listings and the one listing that should remain and we can merge them for you.